» Las Piņas City

LAS PIÑAS CITY is a city in the National Capital Region of the Philippines. The land is bounded by Parañaque City on its north and northeast side, Muntinlupa City on the east and southeast, Imus Cavite on the south side, Bacoor Cavite on the southwest and west side, and Manila Bay on the northwest.

In the Spanish era, the city used to be a small fishing port and a center for salt-making and eventually Las Piñas developed into a residential, commercial and industrial town of Metro Manila.

Las Piñas is known as one of the cleanest cities in Metro Manila and has also recently achieved a status of the “Most Competitive City” in the country.

HISTORY
In the city archives, Las Piñas used to be a fishing settlement on Manila Bay Shores in between 1762 to 1797. The origin of the city’s name varies some say it was derived from the pineapples that were shipped in the town, others say that it was “Las Penas” due to excavation of stones and adobe that was used for construction purposes in the early years. However, a bell inscription that states “Siendo Cura-del Pueblo de las Penas el M.R.P. Padre Diego Cera se Fundio este equilon ano de 1820” proves that the city was once named as Las Peñas before it was changed to Las Piñas.

In 1822, a unique Bamboo Organ was built inside the St. Joseph Church of the Parish of Las Piñas, and was completed in 1824. The city is famous for this one-of-a-kind musical instrument ever built in the country. Las Piñas was also a major site in the Philippine Revolution in 1896 and was also occupied by the Japanese Forces during the World War II.

The municipality of Las Piñas became part of Rizal province pursuant to Philippine Act No. 137. Two years later, the municipality was combined with Parañaque and later became the seat of a new municipal government. Las Piñas became a separate municipality on March 27, 1907 by virtue of Philippine Act 1625. On February 12, 1997, Las Piñas was declared as a city by then President Fidel V. Ramos. Then on March 26, 1997, the city formally became the 10th city of Metro Manila.

PROFILE

THE LAND
The city occupies a total land area of 41.54 sq. kilometers. Half of the land area is developed for residential purposes and the remaining half portion of the land is used for industrial and commercial which comprised of about 36.47% of the total land area, institutional with 37.68% of the land, and the rest for recreational or park areas.

THE PEOPLE
Las Piñas City has a total population of 528,011 with a growth rate of 1.54% yearly in 104,000 households. The population growth is due to the migration of other people from different regions outside of Metro Manila.

The predominant language used and spoken is Tagalog; the rest speaks Cebuano, Ilonggo, Bicolano, Waray, Pampangueño and other dialects.

COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY
Currently, Las Piñas city is already a booming city with various business establishments, shopping malls and other new building and facilities infrastructures. In the year 2000, the city generated a 742.0 million pesos income.

CLIMATE
The city has two distinct weathers which is the dry season covering the months of November to April and wet season during the months of May to October. Maximum rainfall occurs in the months of June, July and August yearly.

LOCAL PRODUCTS
During the Spanish era, the city is known as a small-fishing port and a major salt-making center. The city is also the first place where “Jeepney” is built beforehand. Currently, the city is famous for its Bamboo Organ inside the St. Joseph Church of the Parish of Las Piñas which wad created out of bamboo, wood, and metal.

RELIGION
91.99% of the city residents are Catholics, the rest are other religious sects.

LIST OF “BARANGAYS” (or communities)
The city of Las Piñas has 20 barangays that is grouped into two legislative districts that is composed of its own set of councilors:

  • CAA-B.F. International
  • Daniel Fajardo
  • Elias Aldana
  • Ilaya
  • Manuyo Uno
  • Manuyo Dos
  • Pamplona Uno
  • Pamplona Tres
  • Pulanglupa Uno
  • Pulanglupa Dos
  • Zapote
  • Almanza Uno
  • Almanza Dos
  • Pamplona Dos
  • Pilar Village
  • Talon Uno
  • Talon Dos
  • Talon Tres
  • Talon Cuatro
  • Talon Singko

MAJOR TOURIST SPOTS

BAMBOO ORGAN
The one-of-a-kind organ can be found in St. Joseph Church of the Parish of Las Piñas. This was built in 1822 upon the initiation of Fr. Diego Cera. Annually the Bamboo Organ Festival is being held at the Parish in the month of February.

NATURE CHURCH
The Church is built on a 4,000 square meter mango orchard and a well-maintained park and garden.

ST. JOSEPH CHURCH
The Church was constructed in between 1797 to 1819 using volcanic stones and later on restorations was done in between 1971 to 1975. The community also celebrates the feast of their patron St. Joseph every first Sunday of May showcasing various traditional practices.

HOW TO GET TO LAS PIÑAS CITY

BY LAND
The city can be reached through various air-conditioned buses that ply the city regularly as well as jeepneys that travel to and from Central Manila and Baclaran, Parañaque to the city 24 hours a day. Taxis are even available anywhere in the metropolis.