LIPA CITY is a 1st class city in Batangas, Philippines. The city is situated 78 kilometers south side of Manila and bounded by Santo Tomas in the northeast, San Pablo Laguna and San Antonio of Quezon in the east side, Padre Garcia and Rosario in the southeast, Ibaan and San Jose in the southwest, Cuenca, Mataas na Kahoy and Taal Lake in the west side, and Balete and Malvar in the northwest.
The settlers of Taal Batangas between the 10th and 13th century A.D. were said to be colonial families founded by Datu Dumangsil and Balkasusa. The settlers purchased lands of Panay in the Visayas, and lowlands in Luzon which includes Batangas. The purchased lands were subdivided among the ten datus, and the Batangas Bay was given to the clans of Datu Dumangsil and Balkasusa.
The descendants of the Bornean Tribe were the first origins of Lipa that spread out towards Laguna De Bay and Bicol Peninsula and other areas in Batangas. Then in the 15th to 16th century, trade relations emerged in the Batangas townsfolk with Chinese merchants. In 1605, the Augustinian Fathers made Tagbakin (southern shores of Taal Lake) the first settlement of Lipeños and built a mission center that was named San Sebastian. It was in 1702 when the place became a municipality and a parish in 1716.
In 1724, Taal Volcano erupted and all the settlers moved to Balete. The settlers moved inland till 1756 in order to secure themselves from volcanic eruptions. Augustinian missionaries taught the townsfolk on the cultivation of coffee that later on flourished and made Lipa the richest municipality in the Philippines. Thus, on October 21, 1887 upon the order of Queen Regent Maria Christina of Spain, Lipa was re-named to “Villa de Lipa” and on January 1888 became a city. A few years later, Lipa City also cultivated other crops, vegetables, abaca, and engaged themselves in livestock raising, craftsmanship and other small industries such as weaving, embroidery, and sewing for women till the onset of World War II.
On 1889 to 1894 Lipeños also served in the revolutionary republic. Then on August 31, 1947 Lipa became a chartered city under Republic Act 162, and was formally approved on June 20, 1947.
The total land area of Lipa is 24,465.93 hectares. Main land use is in Agricultural with 72.36% of the total land area, followed by forestry, and agro-industrial. Lipa City sits atop a mountain with an elevation of 1,025 feet above sea level. The terrain is characterized by rolling hills, plateaus and low mountains, the highest of which is Mount Makiling which is only 1,109 meters in elevation.
According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 218,447 people in 41,962 households.
COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY
Currently, Lipa City is fast developing as a business center, with its massive infrastructure projects and with the linking of Port of Manila and Batangas International Port excellent transportation for trade and commerce is an added factor for the townsfolk.
Lipa City is aggressive in its approach in making the city a vast industrial estate and meeting the needs of the businesses and industries in their area. For many years now, Lipa is the leading supplier of food in Manila which includes livestock and poultry. More and more economic steps and programs are being implemented by the local government in accordance to making the city a more progressive business center.
Lipa City has a beautiful climate with warmer or colder months and heat is never too harsh even during summer.
All tourists can try famous cuisines of Lipa City rich in spices, coconut milk, and hot chili which are traditional for all dishes in this city.
99.5% of the total city population is Catholics, and the Archdiocese of Lipa today comprises the civil province of Batangas. The Diocese of Lipa was formed on April 10, 1910 and covered other provinces such as Batangas, Laguna, Quezon, Marinduque and Mindoro with Most Reverend Joseph Petrelli, D.D. as the first bishop.
In 1950, Most Reverend Rufino Santos took over the diocese and was able to construct buildings and Cathedral of Lipa. Later on, Most Reverend Alejandro Olalia, D.D. became the next bishop assigned from 1953 to 1973. It was during his term that the Diocese of Lipa became the tenth Archdiocese and Ecclesiastical Province by order of the Holy Father, Pope Paul VI on June 20, 1972. Bishop Olalia’s position was also elevated to the rank of archbishop on August 15, 1972. However, in 1973 Bishop Olalia died and was replaced by Bishop Ricardo J. Vidal who stayed with the diocese until 1981. The latter bishop organized the Pastoral Council and constructed Lipa Archdiocesan Formation Center.
Archdiocese of Lipa changed hands over the years, changes too were happening to its territorial jurisdiction over certain areas. Bishop Gaudencio Rosales was the elected Archbishop of Lipa since December 30, 1992.
Currently, the archdiocese is divided into 6 vicariates, each headed by a vicar forane. Although some parishes are run by Oblates of St. Joseph and others are governed by
Diocese clergy. There are 49 parishes in all, served by 143 priests. 122 are diocesan, 13 religious brothers, and 197 religious sisters. There are also 23 existing catholic schools, two high school seminaries, three college seminaries, and two pastoral centers.
LIST OF “BARANGAYS” (or communities)
Lipa City is subdivided into 72 barangays:
Antipolo Del Norte
Antipolo Del Sur
San Sebastian (Balagbag)
Bugtong na Pulo
Mataas Na Lupa
Poblacion Barangay 1
Poblacion Barangay 10
Poblacion Barangay 11
Poblacion Barangay 2
Poblacion Barangay 3
Poblacion Barangay 4
Poblacion Barangay 5
Poblacion Barangay 6
Poblacion Barangay 7
Poblacion Barangay 8
Poblacion Barangay 9
San Isidro (formerly Sapac)
Poblacion Barangay 9-A
Barangay 12 (Pob.)
CASA DE SEGUNDA
This house is accredited by the National Historical Commission and is known to be the house of Segunda Katigbak, Dr. Jose Rizal’s first love.
MARKER OF THE BURIAL GROUNDS
The place is situated in Barangay Lumbang and served as a burial ground during the Japanese massacre.
MOUNT CARMEL CHURCH
The Church was known for the miraculous shower of petals in 1948 and for the Blessed Virgin Mary apparition to a Carmelite novice.
MUSEO NG KATIPUNAN
This museum is situated in Barangay Bulaklakan and has the original flag with blood stains of the Katipuneros during the Philippine Revolution, and houses other artifacts.
The tower is located at Barangay Lumbang and was built by Japanese colonizers in memory of one of the Japanese campsites during World War II.
Lipa City is just approximately 86 kilometers away from Manila, a one and a half (1 1/2) hours drive by car through the South Expressway.